Here's a thought. Imagine if you gave up your constant internet access and cell phone usage, not necessarily completely, but for the better part of the time, for half a year. Could you do it? What would you do instead? Well, I'm not 100% sure, but I think what people used to do was write something called "letters" and they sent "post cards" when they were away places. This is something people did not even that long ago really. Like maybe even as late as 10 years ago.
So anyway, I'm telling you all this because I am actually going to do it. While it might not be a smart idea to not carry a cell phone on the AT, that doesn't mean I can't bring one with me and only use it for emergencies. I might even come across a computer here and there, but the big point I am trying to make is that, overall, it will be a big change for me. I've had the internet now for 10+ years and it's gotten to the point where I feel I am too dependent on it. After being gone to the beach for a week without it, the first thing I had to do when I got back was check everything to see what I missed. I realized that most of the stuff I check is just unnecessary stuff like all that stuff to the right under the "other stuff I look at" section. So, I am asking myself now, we lived without all these things before, why do we need them now?
Well, I'm going to find out this summer. Limited technology and good ol' fashioned letter and postcard writing. Let me know if you'd like to receive one.
Also, on a completely different note, I got an email yesterday telling me that I am a finalist in the IDEA competition! Now it's time to go for the gold! I've got a lot of work ahead of me in the coming weeks... wish me luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment