You know, everybody is focusing so much on how tragic it is for Auburn to have this happening, but this isn't new for Auburn. There has been more than one perfect season ruined by some unfortunate circumstance.
The real tragedy here is Mississippi State. I imagine when all this investigating is said and done, regardless of what happens to Auburn, Miss State will certainly face some kind of penalties. What, with the whole continuing to recruit Cam long after being made aware that his father was asking for money. And they'll surely find some dirt on "the three amigos" as the NCAA digs ever deeper. And normally this all wouldn't be a problem because Miss State is usually pretty crappy, but they were actually starting to do well. However, I think it's best to sit back and wait until the NCAA makes their verdict. So that's what I'll do.
The thing that gets me is when people compare this to the Reggie Bush thing. First of all I think this issue will be resolved faster with what's at stake. The NCAA didn't have to act very fast with the Reggie issue because the allegations came out well after the National Championship and the Heisman Award. With both of those potentially at stake, they have a chance to avoid getting Bush'd again. I think they are going to try at all costs to have this thing solved by December 11th.
The only thing that I think will stand in the way is that, unlike the Reggie case, there aren't many facts. Heck, in the Reggie case the guy who paid him stood up and confirmed everything. Hard to argue with that. All we've got so far with Cam is a bunch of people from both sides changing their story.
I think in the long run, this isn't just an Auburn issue, or a Miss State issue, this is an SEC issue. The SEC screwed the pooch on this one, by allowing it to perpetuate this long. They should have killed it back in January.
No comments:
Post a Comment