Monday, November 2, 2009

Still kickin'

After a long 5 month dry spell I figured it was about time to update this journal. As I'm sure everyone knows, I completed the Appalachian Trail on October 10th. I came home the 12th and since then I've been taking er easy. I can't do that for long though. Sometime this week I'll get on the job search wagon. As far as re-adjusting goes, I think I'm pretty adjusted. It wasn't that hard for me to get back to sleeping in a bed, driving a car, staying indoors when it rained. What was difficult was changing my eating habit. I went from constant physical activity to none. So I didn't have the appetite I use to, but I don't think my body knew what was going on. Basically it just felt like I had a stomach ache for a couple weeks. But now I think my body has adjusted back.

I have been asked by a number of people to come talk to their class/group/what have you about my hike and the AT. I'm getting two of those out of the way this week. Going down to Auburn for a few days on Wednesday. I have to update my resume and portfolio a little. Hoping I can use the computer lab.

I feel like I should have some kind of reflection on the hike, but honestly, nothing comes to mind. It was what it was. I dreamed of hiking from Georgia to Maine, I set out to try it and I succeeded. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. Mentally, physically. I wanted to stop, but I thank my own stubborn determination for getting me through. I met some awesome people who, sadly, I'll more than likely never see again. I don't know if it taught me anything about myself or whatever...I suppose it made me realize I can do whatever the hell I put my mind to.

In response to Kevin's inquiries, I still don't know if I have all the answers.

Where was I going? Well, there isn't much philosophical there. I think I was simply trying to hike the Appalachian Trail. I think it has more to do with why I was doing it. Which brings me to the next question.

Why am I doing this? I thought about this a lot. The simple answer is this: When I was in high school, I went on my first backpacking trip on the AT. I enjoyed it so much I decided one day I would try to do the whole thing. It made sense at the time. If it was fun to do for a few days it would be even more fun to do for many months. Simple math. Of course that's not how it works. It is hard work. And very few moments are fun. But there are some. And you can't get to those without some effort. You get out of it what you put in.

That's the simple answer, but I think there was an underlying motive, too. I felt the need to do something after I finished school to set me apart. Experience. I feel that experience is very important. Prior to the AT, I had done absolutely nothing noteworthy. I had gone to school my whole life. Nowadays, that is not a noteworthy accomplishment. What would I have to say in a job interview to set me apart? And besides job interviews...just life in general. The AT was a great way to break up the monotony of school. For all school is good for, it really hinders a person from knowing anything outside of a small bubble. I encountered this on the trail. For instance, some people I met farther north were unaware where Alabama was in the country. To be fair, I bet a lot of people from around here would have a hard time on a puzzle of the northeastern U.S.

I want to have stories and life lessons that may entertain or help someone one day. Unless I look up those stories on Snopes.com, they are gonna have to come from real world experience. Something I couldn't get if I was sitting in a cubical all day. So yeah. That's why I did it.

What is there to find? Good friends are found. You find out what you're made of. Completing the whole trail (especially in the short time I did) isn't easy. You find out what you can live without.

So I guess there was something that came to mind about the hike, but it still feels like there's more to it than this extremely long post. The thru hike is such a big thing, I don't think it has all been processed enough to figure out all the details. Maybe that is it, I don't know. I've never been a very reflective kind of guy. Only time will tell.

No comments: