Monday, May 18, 2009

To Whom It May Concern,

I am taking a trip! An excellent adventure of sorts. I am hiking the Appalachian Trail. Never heard of it? Well, study up on it then!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_trail

...Now that you are an expert, you understand the implications of such a trip. I've never attempted anything of this magnitude, so, admittedly, I don't know what to expect. However, I am going to give it my best effort. So, if you would care to know my whereabouts at some point during the coming months, please feel free to stop by my webjournal at

http://trailjournals.com/jacob

There's all kinds of stuff on the site, such as the gear I'm using, photos I post, my stats, and whatever happens that I feel is worth jotting down when I find a computer.

If you want another good read on the AT, I encourage you to check into the book by Bill Bryson entitled A Walk In The Woods, I re-read it this past weekend and re-realized how awesome it is.

Also, my dad is making me take this GPS along with me. It's got this pretty nifty feature that will link to google maps. I found out how I can create my own map so you can find out where I am pretty much any time during the trip. Just go to google.com, click on the maps and type in "Jacob's AT Hike". There will be quite a few results, but if you go to "show search options" you can limit the search to only user created content and mine should be the first one. If you have a google account you can even save the map and check it that way. Check it out.

So wish me luck. I start Wednesday. Tell me your address, maybe I'll send you a post card

Regards,
Jacob

3 comments:

kevin said...

i've got nothing on google. have you tried it yourself yet?

Jacobs said...

It won't show up until I get out there and do the first signal. Then when my dad gets home he'll get an email with the coordinates and can add it to the google map that we are creating for my hike. I think because I haven't done that first point yet, it's not showing up in the search results. It should start showing up tomorrow.

kevin said...

gotcha.

well, good luck, bro.

i'll check every day and be thinking of you. be safe and have a great time!